HM Oral Surgery
Oral surgery is a specialized field that involves complex procedures affecting the mouth, jaw, and face. Whether you require wisdom teeth extraction, dental implants, corrective jaw surgery, or other oral procedures, selecting the right oral surgeon is crucial for a successful outcome and a smooth recovery. Here are some essential questions to ask when making this important decision.
- Are you board-certified and licensed? Begin by verifying the surgeon’s qualifications. Check if they are board-certified and possess the necessary licenses to practice oral and maxillofacial surgery. This ensures that they have undergone rigorous training and met the highest standards in the field.
- How much experience do you have? Experience matters significantly in oral surgery. Inquire about the surgeon’s years of practice and the number of procedures they have performed related to your specific needs. Seasoned surgeons are often better equipped to handle complexities and potential complications.
- What technology and techniques do you use? Modern technology and advanced techniques can enhance the surgical process and improve outcomes. Ask about the equipment and methodologies the surgeon employs to ensure that you will receive top-notch treatment.
- Can you provide patient testimonials or references? Reading or hearing about other patients’ experiences can offer valuable insights into the surgeon’s skill and bedside manner. Request testimonials or references to learn more about the surgeon’s reputation.
- What will the treatment involve? Understanding the treatment plan and its potential implications is essential. The surgeon should explain the procedure in detail, including the risks and benefits, recovery expectations, and any alternative options available.
- What sedation options are available? Anxiety about oral surgery is normal, so knowing the available sedation options is crucial for your comfort during the procedure. Ensure the surgeon offers suitable sedation techniques to alleviate your concerns.
- What are the potential risks and complications? Every surgery carries some level of risk. Your surgeon should be open and honest about the potential complications associated with your procedure. They should also discuss their approach to minimizing these risks.
- What will the recovery process be like? Inquire about the expected recovery timeline, any restrictions or special care instructions, and what you can do to promote healing.
- How much will the procedure cost? Discuss the cost of the surgery, including any pre-operative consultations, facility fees, anesthesia charges, and post-operative visits. Ensure you are aware of the full financial implications before proceeding.
- Do you accept insurance, and what are the payment options? If you have dental insurance, verify whether the surgeon accepts your plan. Additionally, inquire about available payment options or financing plans if needed.
Those are all great questions to ask and those are all questions which our own Dr. Hani Mahgoub, DDS, MD would be happy to share his answers with you. If you’d like to learn a little more about HM Oral Surgery’s primary oral surgeon, here is a little more about Dr. Mahgoub:
Dr. Mahgoub has been proudly practicing Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery since 2009. He grew up in the Charlotte area and attended Mooresville High School. He attended UNC-Chapel Hill where he received his Bachelors of Science in Chemistry and a minor in Biology. His next stop was Marquette University in Milwaukee, WI where he received his Doctor of Dental Surgery degree . After dental school, he finished a 1 year Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery internship at Emory University. He then continued his studies and earned his Doctor of Medicine and completed his Oral and Maxillofacial surgery residency at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.
After graduating from residency, Dr. Mahgoub moved back home to the Charlotte area where he worked to open up a practice to serve the people of Charlotte and surrounding areas.
Dr. Mahgoub is a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon. Dr. Mahgoub is also an active member of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Dental Association and the North Carolina Dental Society among other professional organizations.
When he’s not busy restoring smiles, Dr. Mahgoub enjoys mountain biking, traveling, and spending time with his wife, Jennifer, and son, Rami.
Jul 30th, 2023
Posted in oral surgery | Comments Off on Choosing the Right Oral Surgeon: Vital Questions to Ask